Creativity is a natural capability of every human being. But, how can we foster this skill in children?
· Create a recreational, pleasant, and stimulating environment that helps children to experience and express their ideas freely and that reinforces their confidence.
· Value their witty remarks, ideas and originality over the results so as to encourage the development of their imagination.
· Set challenges to stimulate their curiosity, sensitivity and to contribute to the growth of their capabilities.
· Play with the words: link them up, rhyme them, make associations, play I Spy, paint them in different types of letters and colors (on paper or a screen), create new words with the letters of their names and give them a meaning ...
· Try out different types of texts: read their favorite dessert recipe, a game’s instructions, create a travel guide with photos and notes, build a story from pictures, a place, a character or a specific event, and even ask them to add some images to the text (drawings, photographs, animations).
· Make crafts: invitation cards (to a birthday, a party ...), decorative items (a pumpkin for Halloween, Christmas ornaments ...) and origami. There are many books full of ideas.
· Other proposals: stage a short play or go to a representation or a concert, attend a workshop or take part in a contest (of drawing, writing, photography, theater ...), visit a museum...